Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Stairs

I just realized that I talked a lot about the stairs going up into the Belvedere yesterday but never showed them. Here they are:


Base


Top

In terms of scale, remember that the staircase is only 2'-6" wide. Put that in relation to all the other tight corners and you can see why I'm so concerned about the top of the belvedere. (Sorry you can't see down the stairs very well-the IDX shadows can get kind of dark.)

I like these views because they give you some idea of what is going on in the Belvedere as well. The octagonal atrium is a pretty neat feature. Those big walls were supposed to be covered with a mural called 'The City by the Sea'. There would be two different versions by two different artists, one for each of the Belvederes. Apparently they were painted, or mostly painted, but Wright was so unhappy with them that he had the covered over. He was going to design his own version, but it was never installed. Later on, he made a version that was put around the stage at Taliesin West. It is a mass of geometric shapes and similar to the murals that actually were installed in the Tavern.

Right now I'm working on the roofs over the entrances to the Belvedere. I think I've finally gotten the pitch correct and I'm finally figuring out how the eaves will work. From there I'm going to start on the balcony over the front Belvedere entrance, and start filling in the second floor. I love all that I've gotten done, but I feel like I'm getting ahead of myself with all the work on the upper part of the Belvedere. Hopefully I'll have some cool new images to post soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment