Tuesday, January 18, 2011

New Images

Here are some of my latest images of Midway Gardens. As you can see, I've added the balcony over the main entrance to the Belvedere. I think it looks nice and the door definitely breaks up the wall in a necessary way. However, I have no idea if the door is accurate or not. My rule of thumb for areas I don't know about is to keep it as simple as possible. If I don't have information on an element, I try and make it similar to something already there. If that's not possible, I simplify it to the point that it won't interfere. This was a highly finished and well-thought-out building. It isn't my place or desire to put my own stamp on it.



Adding the big glass door to the balcony really lets a lot of needed light into the second level of the Belvedere. Even though it is a very open space, that end was looking rather dark.



I'm including this last one to show what a mess the model actually is. This is the side I haven't been showing you and you can see how incomplete it is. But this view is one of the most important to me. If you look back at my 'Solving Problems #1' posting, there is a photo of this view (reversed since it was the other side of the building). Unfortunately the photo is pretty seriously cropped on the left side, but even still I consider this to be one of the greatest architectural photographs ever taken. Even after looking at it hundreds of times, it still takes my breath away and I feel that it sums up all that was best in Midway Gardens in a single image. I really want to convey this with my model, though I don't know how I'm going to be able to match it due to the dimensions of my computer screen. I'm sure I'll figure something out though.



Note: I almost forgot, I've made the blog public. Invite your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment